We all know that children can often have many questions, and there is nothing wrong with that. However, their questions can sometimes be challenging to answer. If your child was was born via surrogacy or you are a surrogate parent, they will most likely have questions about what that means. Below are some of the most popular children’s books on surrogacy.
- The Kangaroo Pouch: A Story About Surrogacy for Young Children by Sarah Phillips. Various doctors and childhood professionals vetted this book to ensure the content is appropriate for young children. The story’s main character is Oliver, a young kangaroo whose mother becomes a surrogate for another kangaroo family. It narrates the surrogacy process from start to finish.
- Daddy Dog and Papi Panda’s Rainbow Family: It Takes Love to Make a Family by Anthony Hale. This book features same-sex parents that had their children through adoption and surrogacy. It presents the topic of a modern family in a simple, yet fun way that is easy for children to understand.
- Grown in Another Garden by Crystal Falk. In this story, the main character learns how he was born via surrogacy. This book is great for explaining why some families choose surrogates and why surrogates choose to help other families.
- Penny’s Pocket: A tale of a sibling brought home through a gestational carrier by Elizabeth K Hebl. This book has a tale of a family of opossums who use a surrogate to bring home a second child and is excellent for helping children understand infertility and surrogacy.
- You Began as a Wish by Kim Berman, PhD. This book answers many questions children may have about where they came from in a simple, easy-to-understand manner.
- The Very Kind Koala: A Surrogacy Story for Children by Kimberly Kluger-Bell. This is a picture book for children as young as three years old. It introduces surrogacy through the simple story of a koala bear and her husband who needed the help of a very kind koala to carry their baby in her own pouch.
There are many wonderful books available to help you explain the process of surrogacy to your children. All of the books we mentioned in this blog can be found on Amazon.com with full descriptions and further reading recommendations.