At Shared Conception, we know the holidays can be extra rough when you are trying to start your own family. Every holiday commercial shows happy families celebrating, and that can be especially hard to watch.
Of course, every family member, friend, and co-worker will have advice that they will want to share with you, which, even though they mean no harm, can really bum you out.
Unfortunately, not everyone understands the sensitivity of the matter. They will tell you stories of others who just had a baby and ask if you have tried this method or that method to get pregnant. While difficult, it’s important to let others know when they are upsetting you. Let them know what topics are ok to talk to you about.
Here are some tips that can help you get through the current Christmas season:
- Again, set those boundaries, so others know what you feel comfortable discussing.
- Laughter is great for the soul—do you have any funny holiday photos or memories? Maybe pictures from when you were a kid. We all know how much everyone loves to see those embarrassing family photos, so share them on social media with your friends so you can all share a laugh. Hopefully, it will encourage them to share some of theirs too!
- Do fun holiday things to keep your mind off being a bah humbug! Drive around neighborhoods, look at all the amazing Christmas lights, and see a play such as the Nutcracker. Think about past holiday traditions you had growing up and relive some of those now that you are older. This could include anything from attending church and meeting with friends and family (the ones who won’t give you that unsolicited advice!).
- Treat yourself to massages, pedicures, and going out to a nice restaurant; whatever helps make you feel at peace. For some, this is working out, while for others, it’s just taking a nice walk alone—whatever it may be, it’s ok to indulge every now and then.
- Find ways for you and your partner to be good to each other during the holiday season. It’s not uncommon for couples to take out their frustrations on each other, especially with the added stress of the holiday, so stay connected. Do things together, such as a couples massage.
- Don’t be afraid to say no to party invitations. There’s no reason to overcommit, overspend or overcompensate!
- Know that being infertile isn’t a cruel life sentence. There are many options available, surrogacy being one of them.