During a surrogate pregnancy or right after going through IVF, the doctor may order bed rest. This may sound like a prison sentence to some, but you might find that the time spent in bed can actually be very productive. Here are some ideas.
- Learn a new computer skill. From improving your typing skills (Mavis Beacon) to Photoshop, there is an array of programs that you can use to boost your value. Try website building or even blogging about your surrogacy journey!
- Study a new language. While in bed, you have the opportunity to listen to foreign language learning CDs (or online courses). You can even read some books about the language you’re learning. It would be fun to practice by speaking to the baby!
- Learn a craft. You may have always wanted to learn how to knit and now you have your chance! There are all sorts of kits available including knitting, sewing, make your own teddy bear,jewelry, painting, card making, calligraphy, and even scrap booking. You could even make something for the baby. Make sure to use a serving tray as a work surface; that way you aren’t digging around for kit parts that get lost in the bed.
- Take an online class. If you’re going to be on bed rest for several months, you can take a regular length online class. If you are going to be on bed rest for 3-to-6 weeks, you can take accelerated classes that are shorter and more intense. Barnesandnoble.com offers free courses and your neighborhood community college offers low-cost ones.
- Check out www.stumbleupon.com. This is a great way to discover new things online. You just never know what you’ll stumble upon (sorry we just couldn’t resist). After going to the site, just download the tool bar onto your screen. You will have a form to fill out that specifies your likes and dislikes. It uses your preferences to find interesting sites that suit you.
These are just a few things you could do while resting and passing the time as a surrogate on bed rest. It doesn’t have to seem like a prison sentence or solitary confinement; not when you’ve just learned a new language or made a cute new set of baby booties for those grateful intended parents!