Besides helping to create a family, any pregnancy including a surrogate pregnancy, brings about positive changes. Several of those changes are great benefits to your body. The following are some of the top benefits that you may not know.
- Fewer Cramps: Your menstrual cycle will naturally resume after childbirth. Some women find that they may have fewer bothersome cramps or menstrual pain cease altogether. This pain reduction is a well-known phenomenon, but no one knows for sure why it occurs. One theory is that childbirth eliminates some of the prostaglandin receptor sites in the uterus. Prostaglandins; hormones that direct the uterus to contract during labor, also play a role in monthly menstrual pain. Fewer pain-receptor sites equal fewer cramps.
- Lower cancer risk: Pregnancy may be an effective protector against breast and ovarian cancers. The more pregnancies you go through, the greater the effect. In addition, some research has found that breastfeeding (or pumping if you’re a surrogate) for more than three months can also lower your risk of certain cancers.
- Greater Senses: Pregnancy seems to enhance your perception of taste and smell. Yes, that same smell that made morning sickness worse in early pregnancy can make foods taste especially delicious later on. Some experts credit this to high levels of estrogen.
- Healthy lifestyle: Pregnancy causes many women to institute various kinds of positive health changes and encourage women to drop bad habits, such as smoking. These new health habits become shifts to a healthier lifestyle.
- Confidence Boost: Labor and delivery are compared to a marathon for a reason. After giving birth or even while pregnant, women feel a sense of accomplishment. Carrying a child is the ultimate do-it-yourself project that is sure to make any woman proud; not to mention the joy of knowing that as a surrogate you helped complete a family!
In addition to happiness, these are just a few of the many joyous things having children can bring.